Skip to Content
Home

Three federal lawsuits against Illinois’ gun ban made some movement Monday as a federal judge ordered a response from the state to show “each and every item banned.”

/ WMOK


(IRN) Three federal lawsuits against Illinois’ gun ban made some movement Monday as a federal judge ordered a response from the state to show “each and every item banned.”

 

In the Southern District of Illinois, four cases are pending. One is from the Federal Firearms Licensees of Illinois. Plaintiffs in that case filed a motion for preliminary injunction last week.

 

In three other cases, federal Judge Stephen McGlynn ordered state defendants to provide “illustrative examples of each and every item banned” under state law.

 

Thomas Maag, who brought the state level Crawford County case that was transferred to federal court, said the judge’s order will make it difficult for the state to comply.

 

“Because the ban is so all encompassing and uses a great many vague terms that I’m not even sure that exactly what is banned and that’s probably why judge McGlynn ordered the state to do that so that we could find out what exactly we are arguing about,” Maag told The Center Square on Monday.

 

He said “the state has a tough row to hoe,” especially given recent U.S. Supreme Court precedent that cases regarding the Second Amendment must review text and tradition, not a balancing of state interest versus individual civil liberties.

 

“The plaintiffs in my case remain extremely confident that we’re going to succeed on the merits of this case,” Maag said. “This statute never should have been passed in the first place. And applying the Bruen analysis, we believe that the days of Illinois’ magazine and firearms ban are numbered and the number is not very large.”

 

Maag predicted a ruling on a preliminary injunction, which he said asks the court to prohibit enforcement of the statute pending final resolution of the case, could come sometime in mid- to late-March or early April.

 

The state has until Feb. 28 to respond in Maag’s case. In the case brought by the Illinois State Rifle Association, the state has until March 1 to respond and March 2 to respond in the case brought by the National Shooting Sports Foundation.

WMOK - Metropolis, IL - The Metropolis Police Department has released the arrest log for the period covering July 26 through August 15, 2026. All subjects are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. July 26, 2026 Devonda G. LaMoureux, 25, of Calvert City, KY, was arrested at Filmore and E. 12th St. She...
13h ago
Massac County, IL - Friday night high school football is right around the corner, and the Massac County Patriots are set to open their season on the road against West Frankfort on Friday, August 21st at 7:00 PM. However, bringing live, play-by-play coverage of every hit, drive, and touchdown to our local community reli...
14h ago
17h ago
METROPOLIS, IL - The local community is coming together this fall for a meaningful cause as Metropolis hosts the 2nd Annual Walk for Hope on Saturday, September 26, 2026. Beginning at 4:00 PM, community members, families, and supporters will gather at Dorothy Miller Park - East Front Street on the Metropolis Riverfront...
Aug 13, 2026
JOPPA, IL - Emergency crews responded to a two-vehicle collision along the Joppa Bypass area Thursday morning. The incident was first reported shortly after 8:00 AM. Upon arrival of emergency responders, one of the vehicles involved had caught fire. Authorities confirmed that all passengers were able to exit the vehicl...
Aug 13, 2026
See More

Comments

Leave a Reply